Sunday, March 19, 2006

on or off the wagon?

Am I on or off the wagon this week? It’s difficult to tell. I haven’t been to the gym in ten days, and I hate that. I had a houseguest, and two days of blizzards, and then The Husband came back home and of course I wanted to lounge around with him in the morning rather than suit up and wade through the snow to the gym. But that only takes me through last Thursday. Why haven’t I been on Friday or Saturday? Or today? There’s really no excuses for that. I’ve done yoga once, but that’s it.

I think this is somehow all involved with some sort of bizarre pre-disgust that I won’t be able to go to the gym next week, since we’ll be at a conference from Tuesday until Saturday. If I can’t go then, why go now? (That's entirely ridiculous.) The hotel has an exercise room, though, and I will remember to bring clothes for that. And we'll be walking all over Chicago. And I can take exercise bands with me for the room. And yoga is very portable.

Eating has been interesting as well this week. Ovo-lacto except for a piece of fried fish on Tuesday and a small portion of corned beef on St. Patrick’s day. There’s been beef broth in a couple of soups as well. I haven’t necessarily been trying to avoid meat, but I just don’t want it. I got veggies on my half of the pizza we ordered on Thursday, and have turned down many opportunities for sausage. Last night, the Husband decided that IHOP would make an appropriate birthday meal, so off we went. I had half of a veggie omelet and more of an order of hash browns than I had planned on. (Formerly I would have had biscuits and gravy and sausage and eggs and hashbrowns.)

What else? Not many sweets. But I have been eating quite a bit of dairy, and not skim or half-fat stuff either. Goat cheese and crackers. One 120-calorie cups of yogurt each day. Sharp cheddar on avocado and sprout sandwiches. The pizza had full-fat cheese, of course. Some mixed nuts, but a reasonable amount.

Looking at this, it’s not as dismal as I thought. I’ve also kept up on water and sleep and massage. Things could be better exercise-wise, but they could also be much, much worse overall. Maybe I’ll get up the courage to weigh myself in a minute. I notice that my wedding ring is suddenly much looser, so maybe some of the water has come off.

Update: Weighed! And yep, back down to 217ish. When I went back to school about this time last year, I was 213 and could wear Mister Husband’s jeans. I just went and put a pair of them on, and they’re actually too big, so 217 must be generally accurate. (Depending on how I stand on the scale, it reads anywhere between 208 [preposterous] and 225 [which strikes me as high].)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do NOT beat yourself up about not going to the gym for awhile. While we all have our busy times, our ups and downs, remember that "all is not lost." Just because we don't go for 10 days or 20 or 30, we can always go back. You can always pick up where you left off! My only advice is that the longer you wait to go back, the guiltier you'll feel, and then finally, that guiltiness will wear off and you won't go anymore. At least that's how it is for me!

And it looks like the weight is good. :) You're doing great!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home