Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Things I’m Doing Right

It seems important to remind myself of things I’m doing right, since I’ve been spending a fair amount of energy beating myself up for the things I’m not doing completely right with food. (If nothing else, I’m determined this blog isn’t going just to be a place to wallow in memories.)
  • I’m doing cardio at least three times each week, for at least 30 minutes. For most of that period, I’m keeping my heart rate at the top of the range my trainer recommended.
  • I’m meeting with The Trainer tomorrow morning. This is our second session, and we’ll start adding weights to my routine.
  • I’m being fairly consistent with my water — at least 68 ounces each day.
  • I’ve committed to a regular routine of deep-tissue work for as long as I can afford it. This has helped me immensely in the past. Really, I never looked/felt better than when I was really on top of this aspect.
  • I’m being reasonably consistent about doing the things my massage therapist wants me to do to reduce inflammation: icing inflamed areas regularly, taking a low dose of ibuprofen, judicious hot baths. And remaining hydrated! (See previous.)
  • I’m making some progress toward managing my stress. Working out helps, of course. And so does semi-regular yoga. Saturday I made myself take the day off, and went to a movie for the first time since last summer.
And really, my eating is much better than it was six months ago. I’m regularly getting lots of fruits and veggies, eating whole grains every day, limiting my desserts, and backing off the meat. Plus, I’ve completely cut out my Diet Coke habit in favor of one cup of black tea each day.

Looking at this all neatly listed does make me feel better. That’s quite a lot of Things Done Right over the last bit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the biggest! You have to remember the good stuff and realize that even small changes make a big difference over time. Learning to like things I didn't before has been great for me.

Developing new traditions has also been helpful. When people around you make changes, that makes it easier yet.

You'll get there. Don't beat yourself up (the perfectionist in you) for not getting everything exactly right. Remember, it is a learning process, and you have your entire life to live a new lifestyle. It doesn't last one day, so one slip-up or one thing you have to work on more shouldn't break your confidence.

I have made the mistake in the past of hitting it on all cylinders at the same time--diet, exercise, water, elimination of caffeine, etc. It's too much at once. Working a little on each or focusing a few is the best way to go. Otherwise, you set yourself up for disaster. It is the small changes that get you to where you want to be. Good luck! :)

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home